Here are some tips to help you get the most out of shopping at the market.
- Go to the market EARLY. There is a better selection.
- Farmers’ Markets are outdoors. Dress for the weather and wear comfortable shoes.
- Bring a stroller or wagon for your child or children. It can also be useful for storing your purchases.
- Bring a cloth bag or wire fold-able cart to carry your produce.
- If driving make sure you keep track of your car keys.
- Walk through the entire market before you buy. Make a list of what you want, then return to those vendors to make your purchases.
- Bring change and smaller denominations of money as each farmer is an individual business. Some farmers will accept checks but cash is preferred.
- If you have questions about certain fruits or vegetables ask the farmer. Most will be happy to tell you how it was grown and cared for and how to make the best selection. Many will even share a favorite recipe!
- Bargaining is not recommended but asking to buy smaller amounts is acceptable. Most farmers will divide amounts.
- HINT: Some of the best tasting fruits and vegetables are the least appealing to the eye.